Wednesday 21 December 2011

Mince Pie Mayhem!

*
Mince Pie Mayhem!
 
*
I had recently had requests for Mince Pies but as I had not made my own pastry in a while I thought I would try a test batch one night whilst babysitting my little brothers at my parents house.
*
This called for some inspiration:
- With no cookie cutters/ pastry cutters I used a soup can! 
Turned out to be the perfect size for my bun tin!
- As the lids had to be smaller, a baby's beaker turned out perfect!
*
*
Ingredients for Pastry:
- 200g sifted plain flour
-40g golden caster sugar
- 125g cold butter
- 1 large egg
*
Method:
Butter your bun tin or use foil cases
In a large bowl, sift the flour then add the sugar.
Cut the butter into small chunks.
Rub the butter and flour/sugar mix between your fingers lightly until it resembles bread crumbs.
Add in the egg and knead until dough-like.
Tightly wrap the dough into clingfilm and put in the fridge to chill for an hour
Once chilled, lightly flour a surface and roll out your dough
Using a cookie cutter, pastry cutter (or soup tin!) cut out your base circles.
Press each pastry circle into the bun tin.
Stir the mincemeat and then spoon into each pastry base in the bun tin.
Using a smaller pastry cutter (or child's beaker!) cut out smaller pastry circles to use as lids.
Put on top of the mincemeat and press lightly on the edges to seal.
Brush with an egg or milk to get a nice golden colour!

Bake for 20 minutes until golden at 200 C/ 400F.
Enjoy!

*
Tip: Use a fluted pastry cutter to make pretty edges on your pies.
Make mini mince pies and put them on a tray to be nibbled on Christmas Eve with family and friends!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment